Often, if you want something really badly, you do all it takes to achieve it, much like taking part in a contest. If you want to win a custom tattoo design contest, follow these tips:
1. Your desire to win: The most important and basic part of going all out to win a tattoo design contest is to have a deep desire to do so. If you have your eye on winning the prize, you will invest much more effort and work in creating a prize-winning tattoo than you've ever done before.
However, don't enter contests which don't motivate you as you will not give them your best. Is there something about a contest that appeals to you? Perhaps it's the prize money, or the organization that's hosting it, or the possibility of good opportunities that will come after winning it. If winning it is going to push you up the ladder of fame, you should participate in the contest.
2. Enter a tattoo design contest wholeheartedly: If you're not serious about giving of your best, don't even bother to enter a tattoo design contest, because here you will encounter participants who will do everything in their power to ace the contest. So, if you don't do well, you're a loser even before the contest begins. Enter a contest only with a positive attitude.
3. Prepare well for the contest: If you're not prepared for the contest, it can go against you in a big way. If you've participated in such contests before, you will know what they demand of you, but if this is your first time, spend time preparing for it.
4. Instruct your client about proper aftercare: Remember to tell your client exactly how he should take care of himself after the tattoo is inked. Your client should keep the tattoo bandaged for the first 24 hours and away from water too, in case the ink gets washed away.
Contact with the sun should also be avoided. And to negate the incidence of allergies, remember to use only sterilized equipment. Overall, your client should keep the tattoo clean and hygienic and, in most cases, washing with soap and warm water keeps infection at bay.
5. Be a mental winner: To win a tattoo design contest, you need to be a mental winner. Don't be shy about your skills, or under-confident, but boost your morale by encouraging yourself to achieve it. This can be done only with constant practice before you actually participate in the contest.
6. Practice your craft: Only practice can give you success, so practice your craft. Do it in advance so that your design is unique and perfect. Besides, if creating tattoos makes you happy, it will reflect in the quality of your work and will be a testimony to your value as an artist. If you don't enjoy creating tattoos, you won't win the contest.
If you enter a custom tattoo design contest armed with these pointers, you're sure to do your very best there.
Kristen Dunn is a tattoo enthusiast and professional tattoo designer who has created thousands of thought provoking, elegant, and funky tattoos for her clients. She has a vast collection of custom designs to her credit. Winner of several awards and accolades, Kristen is now a founding member of the world’s largest custom tattoo design community at CreateMyTattoo. View her tattoo collection or read more on her blog here.