What is Anaphylaxis and if You Can Really be Trained to Treat It?

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

Anaphylaxis is a very severe and at times life threatening allergic reaction which is mostly triggered by ingesting something. However, the reaction can also be triggered by an insect bite or a sting. The allergy kicks in just minutes after the exposure with the first signs of the symptoms being nausea, swelling and confusion. The majority of symptoms are caused by a flood of chemicals released by the body's own immune system. This can cause the person to go into shock. After a few minutes the blood pressure will suddenly drop and the airways will become more restricted owing to swelling. This will also be accompanied by a weak pulse, skin rash, vomiting and nausea.

Anaphylaxis cannot be cured even by someone who has so called Anaphylaxis training. The only thing that will save this person is some first aid or an epinephrine injection if available.

What should be done during an emergency?

If you are currently with a person who is having a Anaphylaxis attack owing to something that they ate or because of an inset bite, it is important to remember that they will go directly into shock within a minute or two. So, you need to act fast. Start by calling emergency services. Then look for signs of Anaphylaxis, these signs include clammy looking skin, pale skin, confusion, and even a loss of consciousness. The victim will also show signs of having a difficult time breathing. However, despite all of this there is no sure way of knowing if it's an Anaphylaxis attack, so, the best thing you can do is to follow through with these steps:

  • Make sure that the victim is lying in a straight and comfortable position. Then elevate their legs slightly. Usually around a foot is fine. This will make it easier for them to breathe.
  • Then check their pulse and breathing. If you see that its increasingly becoming difficult to breathe administer mouth to mouth resuscitation.
  • Most victims already know that they suffer from allergic reactions so search their pockets for an epinephrine auto injector. Use it on the thigh as soon as you find it.

What should the family of Anaphylaxis sufferers do?

Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction to certain chemicals and foods. But it can also kick in for no apparent reason. This is why Anaphylaxis sufferers should have an auto injector in their pocket at all times. This will make it very easy for them to inject a dose into themselves as soon as these symptoms become visible. That said the injection needs to be checked every few months and the epinephrine replaced prior to its expiration date. As it so happens expired epinephrine is dangerous.

Using an auto-injector will not require any training. Just read the instructions that come along with it. Most victims that are admitted to the hospital owing to Anaphylaxis allergic reactions are usually discharged within a day or two if they are no further complications or damage done to the system owing to a lack of oxygen.

For more Anaphylaxis training related information and how to deal with people who have the reaction and possible first aid measures that can be taken visit: http://healthcorp.com.au

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *